Saia, Marrocco & Jensen Partner Group Photo
Choose A Team Of
Award-Winning Attorneys

What you can do if your ex refuses to pay child support

On Behalf of | Jul 9, 2018 | Family Law |

It’s no secret that caring for a child is expensive. That’s why it’s crucial that the non-custodial parent provides financial assistance to his or her child after a divorce. However, in some cases these payments are never made, which can greatly impact a child’s well-being. Accordingly, U.S. News & World Report offers guidance on what you can do if your ex stops making child support payments.

Don’t Rely on Support Payments

If your ex has a history of not remitting child support payments, it’s best to plan your finances accordingly. While it may seem unfair, relying on a payment that might never come can jeopardize your financial status and cause even more issues. Instead, take steps to address the issue of non-payment separately from managing your finances.

Contact the Court

If non-payment has persisted for six months or longer, it’s time to contact the court. This entails filing a motion that will get the enforcement process in motion. In some cases, your ex’s professional licensing may be compromised, which can act as a motivation to get current on payments. If wage garnishment is already in progress, a sheriff may be called to enforce the existing court order.

Keep Visitation Schedules

While it may be tempting to withhold visitation from your ex until support is paid, this can actually get you in trouble. Visitation is also court mandated and failing to honor an order can result in serious legal reprisal against you (and may even spur a contempt of court charge). Instead, talk with your lawyer about the issue and keep track of amounts owed so you can present your evidence to the court.  

FindLaw Network